Piri piri candied bacon with cheese will send your favorite meat and spice lovers crazy. This is one decadent dish: creamy, sweet, spicy, salty, rich, meaty, and smooth. I could keep going with adjectives to describe this recipe, but the one word to sum it up – irresistible.
This is an excellent appetizer (or dessert!) to serve with crusty bread or sliced fruit. You can choose your favorite soft cheese. Camembert works very well. Choose a cheese round that is about three to four inches wide. If you use a larger cheese, double up the bacon quantity and bake the cheese a little longer, so it is fully melted through.
The piri piri pepper (also known as the malagueta pepper) can be pretty hot – 50,000 to 100,000 Scoville heat units. At its hottest, it touches the floor of habanero-level heat (and its floor is a very hot cayenne pepper), so this is no mild recipe. If the heat is a concern (or the piri piri is tough to source), you can opt for a milder chili. We’d recommend sticking with a red pepper, though, as the color works so well with the bacon. Try red jalapeños, red serranos, or Fresno peppers as subs.
See piri piri candied bacon with cheese being made
Like this recipe? You’ll love these too:
- Cowboy Candy: Also known as candied jalapeños. This recipe is another sweet and spicy treat that pairs well with cheese.
- Sweet And Spicy Bacon: Want to make a simple breakfast more memorable? This bacon delivers.
- Homemade Spicy Honey: This spicy honey is perfect for drizzling over all sorts of appetizers and desserts.
Piri Piri Candied Bacon with Cheese
Make the Topping
- Preheat oven to 390 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut the bacon into small squares.
- Place a small frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the bacon to the frying pan and stir to prevent sticking.
- Remove the seeds from the chilies. Finely chop the chilies and then add them to the bacon.
- Stir to combine.
- Add the sugar and vinegar to the pan and stir continuously to prevent burning.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook until sticky and all of the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the black pepper and stir one more time.
Bake the Topping and Cheese
- Cover a baking tray with aluminum foil and place the cheese onto the tray.
- Top the cheese with the candied bacon and place it into the middle of the preheated oven.
- Cook for 12 to 15 minutes until the cheese is soft and warm inside.
- Serve immediately.