Piri piri candied bacon with cheese will send your favorite meat and spice lovers crazy. This is one decadent dish: creamy, sweet, spicy, salty, rich, meaty, and smooth. I could keep going with adjectives to describe this recipe but the one word to sum it up – irresistible.
This is an excellent appetizer (or dessert!) to serve with crusty bread or sliced fruit. You can choose your favorite soft cheese. Camembert works very well. Choose a cheese round which is about three to four inches wide. If you use a larger cheese double up the bacon quantity and bake the cheese a little longer so it is fully melted through.
The piri piri pepper (also known as the malagueta pepper) can be pretty hot – 50,000 to 100,000 Scoville heat units. At its hottest, it touches the floor of habanero level heat (and its floor is a very hot cayenne pepper), so this is no mild recipe. If the heat is a concern (or the piri piri is tough to source), you can opt for a milder chili. We’d recommend sticking with a red pepper, though, as the color works so well with the bacon. Try red jalapeños, red serranos, or Fresno peppers as subs.
Like the idea of spicy bacon or sweet heat? Then you must take a look at some of these additional delicious options from our spicy recipe index. Cowboy candy (candied jalapeños), for instance, is another sweet and spicy treat that pairs well with cheese. If you want a bacon fix that’s more breakfast-ready, check out this sweet and spicy bacon recipe. It makes breakfast much more memorable. And if you’re just looking for a simple drizzler for an appetizer or dessert, this homemade spicy honey recipe is a definite go-to.
Make the Topping
- Preheat oven to 390 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut the bacon into small squares.
- Place a small frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the bacon to the frying pan and stir to prevent sticking.
- Remove the seeds from the chilies. Finely chop the chilies and then add them to the bacon.
- Stir to combine.
- Add the sugar to the pan and stir continuously to prevent burning.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook until sticky and all of the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the black pepper and stir one more time.
Bake the Topping and Cheese
- Cover a baking tray with aluminum foil and place the cheese onto the tray.
- Top the cheese with the candied bacon and place it into the middle of the preheated oven.
- Cook for 12 to 15 minutes until the cheese is soft and warm inside.
- Serve immediately.