Fruity sweet meets tropical fire…
Sweet fruits always pair well with fiery chili peppers, but you don’t always need to reach for those tropical options. Sweet peaches are an excellent alternative, too. And they’re bold enough in flavor to hold their own against the tropical fire inside those habanero peppers. Try this hot sauce with white meats like chicken and pork. It’s also quite delicious as a fish taco hot sauce for those that like more extreme eats. Note this is more a hot sauce than a barbecue sauce. If you want something more designed for the grill, check our our peach habanero BBQ sauce recipe.
This sauce is no doubt fiery, so if you’re more moderate spicy food fan, this sauce is not for you. You can adjust the overall heat by playing with the amount of orange bell peppers and habaneros, but, regardless, it’s designed to kick things up a notch. As always, wear gloves when handling habanero peppers. The oils in this chili (even on the skin of the pepper) can cause severe chili burn. Know your remedy, too, in case chili burn occurs.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Place the halved peaches (cut side up), bell peppers, habanero peppers, Vidalia onion, and garlic cloves on the lined baking sheet. Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake the ingredients for approximately 20 minutes (or until the peaches are tender).
- Remove the baking pan from the oven and allow the ingredients to slightly cool. Peel the peaches and bell peppers.
- Place all ingredients except sugar in a high-sided saucepan (if using a food processor) or a blender. Blend until smooth (or your desired consistency).
- Taste the sauce and add sugar as needed to get to your preferred sweetness.
- Use immediately or store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks prior to use. The sauce will get even hotter over time.
Use gloves when handling habanero peppers, as touching them directly can cause sever chili burn.
Concerned about the overall heat? Lessen the habanero peppers used and increase the amount of orange bell pepper used.