A tangy twist to BBQ…
The tangy, citrusy bite of orange is one of our favorite flavors to pair with pork on BBQ day. Now throwing chipotle pepper (one of our chili pepper favorites) into the mix, too, makes one delicious flavor pairing for the grill. It’s all good things in this orange chipotle sauce: tangy, smoky, earthy, and bold.
Don’t limit yourself to pork here (though yes, it’s oh so good with pork ribs). It also pairs well with grilled chicken, or you can use it as a dipper for chicken fingers for something different than the norm.
Orange Chipotle Sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chipotle powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper powder optional, for additional heat
- Using a blender or food processor, process all ingredients until smooth. Add additional chipotle powder and/or cayenne pepper powder, to taste and heat preference. Stir well.
- Use immediately as a marinade for grilled chicken or pork or as a dipper.
The cayenne pepper powder is optional, but it's the best option for adding heat without additional smokiness. Cayenne tends to be more subtle in flavor than the smokier, earthier chipotle powder. Plus, it's at minimum four times hotter, so a little goes a long way to adding some punch to the sauce.