The perfectly seasoned popcorn.
Sure you could just microwave up some popcorn and sprinkle it with Old Bay – no judgement here. We’ve done that, too. But Old Bay popcorn is so much better when you’ve oil popped the corn kernels and butter-coated it just right with the crab spice, salt, and pepper. It’s a treat and very simple to do. Plus, it doesn’t take really that much more time than a microwave popcorn bag. So what’s stopping you the next time you have a hankerin’ for crab corn?
- In large pot over medium heat, heat the oil and place 3 kernels in the center of the pot. Wait for the 3 kernels to pop as it's a signal that your oil is hot enough to start.
- Turn up the heat slightly more, toss in remaining corn kernels, cover the pot, and shake the pot continuously over the heat.
- In a separate small pan on medium-low, melt the butter.
- Once the corn kernels have slowed down their popping (listen for single pops, typically 5 to 7 minutes in), remove the popcorn from the heat and pour it into a large serving bowl.
- Drizzle the butter over the popcorn and add in the Old Bay, the salt, and the pepper. Toss the popcorn until it's evenly covered with the butter and spices.