Sizzle up your side of slaw…
Coleslaw is one of those sides that is just as tasty next to summer barbecue as it is on a thick deli-meat sandwich. And – depending on that dish – sometimes a little extra kick is in order. For those moments, go for an Old Bay coleslaw. The paprika and cayenne in Old Bay add heat, and you can increase it even further by adding in some diced red chilies of your choice. We’re preferable to red jalapeño or Fresno peppers here. Both ratchet things up quite nicely and Fresno chilies add a little smokiness to boot.
Old Bay Coleslaw With A Kick
- 7 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup diced red chilies of your choice optional, Fresno or red jalapeño work well
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning
- Parsley and/or additional Old Bay for garnish
- In a large bowl, combine the Old Bay, mayonnaise, sugar, and vinegar. Stir until blended.
- Add the cabbage, carrots, and (optional) red chilies. Stir until the ingredients are fully coated with the mayonnaise mix.
- Cover and, for best flavor, place in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 hours prior to serving.