A fresh take on mole…
When you think of mole, most think of the popular red mole sauce (mole poblano). Though mole verde (a.k.a. green mole sauce) is just as tasty, but in quite different ways. Think fresh, spicy, and slightly tart with mole verde instead of the earthy and slightly sweet taste of red mole sauce.
Tomatillo and serrano peppers provide the flavor pop here. No, this mole doesn’t use any of the holy trinity of dried chilies typical of red mole (ancho, guajillo, or pasilla) opting instead for the bright garden fresh bite of fresh serrano. This is a delicious sauce over pork dishes and enchiladas. It’s also quite good as a topper for fish tacos.
If you’re looking for an easy take on red mole, take a look at our recipe here. It’s easy to make with any well-stocked spice rack.
- 1 pound tomatillos husked
- 2 serrano peppers seeded, stemmed, and roughly chopped
- 3 romaine lettuce leaves torn
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups cilantro leaves
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley
- 3/4 cups pepitas hulled raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup white onion chopped (approximately 1 small onion)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- In a high-sided saucepan over medium heat, add the tomatillos, serrano peppers, garlic, and enough water to cover the tomatillos. Simmer for 10 minutes until the tomatillos are soft.
- SImultaneously, in a separate pan over medium heat, add the pepitas and brown them for 3 minutes, moving them often until lightly browned. Set the pumpkin seeds to the side.
- Drain the tomatillos, serranos, and garlic then place them in a blender. Blend smooth.
- Add the pepitas, white onion, romaine leaves, cilantro, parsley, and salt to the blender and continue to blend until smooth.
- Add the canola oil to the high-sided saucepan from earlier (or use a large saucepot), and heat the pan over medium heat.
- Pour the sauce from the blender into the saucepan, then add the chicken broth. Stir well, then cover and lower heat to medium-low.
- Simmer the sauce for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring 3 or 4 times during that time.
- Once the sauce is to your preferred thickness, remove it from the heat and allow it to cool slightly. Use immediately.