Brownies are always a family favorite, and if you and yours love spice in your life, mixing in a little heat is a real treat. This Mexican brownies recipe does just that, mixing the spiciness of the cayenne pepper with delicious sweet, earthy chocolate.
We use cayenne pepper powder in our Mexican brownies since cayenne has a more neutral flavor than some other spicy chili powders. In this recipe, cayenne simply provides spiciness without competing with the overall chocolate flavor. But feel free to try different 100% chili powders instead, each with unique flavor profiles. For instance, chipotle powder will provide less spiciness, but it will layer in a smokiness to the brownies. Ancho, guajillo, or pasilla powders are all delicious with various levels of spiciness, earthiness, and sweetness to them.
This mix of chocolate and spice really lights up those taste buds. Mexican brownies are perfect with creamy vanilla ice cream on the side, or double-down on the cocoa with some chocolate sauce. Or try this spicy chocolate sauce recipe for a double-downing on the spiciness as well! Give this spicy dessert a shot at your next summer barbecue or after a tasty Mexican meal. It is sure to be a surprising hit.
Like this dessert? You’ll like these too:
- Chipotle Chocolate Chip Cookies: Smoky chipotle and chocolate are such a good duo.
- Spiced Pineapple: Grilled pineapple is seasoned with cayenne and cinnamon.
- Cayenne-Spiced Pumpkin Pie: We take the traditional dessert and add a little punch to it.
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter unsalted
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper adjust to heat preference
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 Fahrenheit.
- Grease pan (9″ x 13″).
- Melt the butter in a non-stick saucepan using low to medium-low heat. Do not boil.
- Remove butter from heat and allow it to cool slightly.
- Add eggs and sugar to the butter in sauce pan and stir until the mix is creamy.
- Stir in cayenne pepper powder, cocoa powder, cinnamon, flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir until mix is smooth.
- Slowly pour mix into greased pan making sure the it is evenly distributed.
- Place pan in oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- After cooking, let brownies rest and cool for 5 minutes before cutting.