Big hitting tropical sweet…
Pairing sweet and spicy is one of life’s most wonderful things (in our book anyway), and it doesn’t get much finer than pairing mango and habanero. The rich tropical sweetness of mango is big-flavored enough to pair well with fiery habanero peppers. Ginger and molasses even things out and provide a delicious biting earthiness to the BBQ sauce. Try this BBQ sauce as a glaze for grilled chicken – it works very well with fish and steaks too. Or use it as a dipping sauce for chicken tenders and wings.
As always: wear gloves when handling habanero peppers. Chilies of any strength can cause chili burn, but once you reach the heights of habanero and above on the pepper scale, it’s a whole other level of discomfort when it occurs. Learn how to relive chili burn here.
Mango Habanero BBQ Sauce
- Over medium heat, sauté the diced shallots in butter until translucent.
- Add the habanero peppers and ginger. Cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant (1 to 2 minutes).
- Add in the mangoes, mango juice, diced tomatoes, molasses, and cider vinegar, then increase the heat to medium high.
- Bring the mix to a boil, then lower the heat and cover. Allow the mix to simmer covered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour the mix into a blender or food processor and blend until you reach your desired sauce consistency.
- Pour the sauce into a jar or container and allow it to cool to room temperature.
- Use immediately or, for best flavor, refrigerate for a minimum of 2 to 3 hours prior to use.