Here’s a light summer salad with a zesty kick! This spicy mango avocado salad gets its heat from habanero pepper. To add a little extra fruitiness to the salad, swap out the habanero for it’s slightly sweeter (but just as spicy) cousin, the Scotch bonnet pepper. Want to see the differences? Read our PepperScale showdown on the two peppers.
As is, this salad makes a great summer appetizer, but try topping it with grilled chicken or shrimp to turn it into a full meal. It’s a quick an easy dish that is sure to impress.
Spicy Mango Avocado Salad
- Fresh greens
- 2 Hass avocados peeled and cubed
- 1 mango peeled and diced
- Lime wedges
- 1 1/2 cups mango peeled and diced fine
- 1 habanero pepper diced
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup red onion sliced thin
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon ginger grated
- 1 tablespoon cilantro chopped
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon lime zest
- Dash salt and pepper
- Blend mango, vinegar, lime juice, ginger, sugar, Dijon mustard, cilantro, lime zest, habanero, red onion, salt, and pepper until smooth.
- Keep blender running and remove the lid. Slowly pour in oil and continuing blending for 5 to 10 seconds.
- Remove from blender.
- Combine in a large salad bowl the mango, avocado, and greens.
- Pour dressing over top to taste.
- Toss and serve.
Swap habanero for Scotch bonnet pepper to add a little more fruity spice to the salad.
Try topping the mango avocado salad with grilled shrimp or chicken for more of an entree meal.