A fun spicy twist on a side fave…
Talk about a smile bringer. Fresh mashed potatoes are already hard to keep on the table, but when you spice things up popper-style, it’s going to be a mashed potato land grab on your hands! This jalapeño popper mashed potatoes recipe brings all the things you love about jalapeño poppers to the table: fresh jalapeños, cream cheese, and bacon are all here. It’ll be a party favorite.
Jalapeño peppers are the sole heat source here (really very little heat ever comes from chili powder blends). So if there’s a concern on overall spiciness of these jalapeño popper mashed potatoes, you’ll need to cut back on the number of peppers used. Similarly, if you want things spicier you can add additional jalapeño. Or, as an alternative, throw in a pinch or two of cayenne pepper when you use the chili powder.
If you love the idea of jalapeño popper hybrids like this recipe, don’t miss out jalapeño popper grilled cheese sandwich. This one will change how you approach grilled cheese forever. Or, if you want a side that eats like a meal, check out this mac and cheese alternative with all your favorite popper flavors.
Jalapeño Popper Mashed Potatoes
- 5 red potatoes roughly chopped
- 5 scallions chopped (white portion only)
- 1 jalapeño pepper deseeded, stems removed, and minced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 ounces cream cheese 1/2 of 8-ounce package
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup crumbled bacon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Cook the potatoes
- In a large pot, add the potatoes and cover with water.
- Heat the water over high until boiling, then reduce the temperature to medium-low.
- Simmer the potatoes for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft.
- Drain the potatoes and place them back in the large pot.
- Mash the potatoes until smooth (or your preferred level of smoothness).
Make the popper mix
- While the potatoes are simmering, heat the olive oil over medium, then saute the jalapeño peppers, scallions, and garlic for 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer the mix to a mixing bowl.
- Add the cream cheese, sour cream, butter, and crumbled bacon to the mix and stir to combine.
Finish the potatoes
- Add the popper mix to the mashed potatoes and stir well.
- Add the salt, pepper, and chili powder and stir well (add more to taste).
- Serve immediately.