Liven up your cocktails…
There are so many flavors going on in a well-made jalapeño mojito: It’s minty fresh, sugary sweet, tangy, and yes…spicy! It tastes like vacation – a relaxing escape somewhere tropical and warm. The heat is just enough to remind you that this isn’t your typical mojito, yet subtle enough to let those traditional mojito flavors still take center stage. Control the spice by increasing or decreasing the amount of jalapeño wheels used. Or try deseeding them to remove much of the kick. But where’s the fun in that?
Spicy Jalapeno Mojito
- 3 jalapeño wheels seeds in
- 1/2 lime quartered
- 10 fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup club soda
- 1.5 ounces white rum
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- In a sturdy highball or tumbler glass, place the jalapeño wheels, mint, and 1 lime wedge. Then, with a muddler, crush the ingredients to release their flavors.
- Add in two additional lime wedges along with the sugar, and muddle again to crush the limes. Top the muddled mix with ice.
- Add the white rum and club soda; stir to combine.
- Add more sugar to taste, stir, then garnish with mint, a lime wedge, or jalapeño wheels and serve.
Photo by: Andrés Nieto Porras CC 2.0