Refreshing minty sting…
Sit back, relax, and enjoy the delicious pairing of refreshing mint, soothing sweetness, and sultry sting. It’s all there in a jalapeño mint julep: part summertime sipper, part smack-your-lips spice. It’s a yummy spicy cocktail twist on a classic – perfect for summer months, but really it’s delicious year-round.
Jalapeño pepper provides the bite. When muddled, it releases those potent chili oils, so even without the jalapeño seeds there’s definite heat to this drink. Serve garnished with mint, or for the real spice lovers, garnish with additional jalapeño wheels. If you dare, double up on the muddled jalapeño, but beware – it may tip the spicy balance of this cocktail too far for the mere moderately spice-inclined.
- 2 ounces bourbon
- 1/4 ounce agave
- 1/4 ounce water
- 4 mint leaves
- 2 slices cucumber
- 1 jalapeño wheel deseeded
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- In a shaker, add the mint, cucumber jalapeño, agave, and water. Muddle the mix to release their flavors.
- Top the mix with ice, then add the bourbon and shake the cocktail.
- Strain the cocktail into an ice-filled glass, then sprinkle the cocktail with the powdered sugar. Stir to combine.
- Garnish with mint, jalapeño, and/or cucumber rounds.