Adding spice to the everyday…
Infusing olive oil with jalapeños is an excellent way to bring spice to everyday dishes. Use it for cooking or as a salad topper. Or simply pour some into a dipping dish and pair with your favorite bread and vegetables. It has a very eatable spiciness that makes this oil very versatile.
If you’re a gardener with a surplus of chilies around, keep this recipe at hand. Jalapeño infused olive oil is one of our favorite ways to use extra chilies at season’s end. You can then enjoy that chili pepper heat all winter long. It also makes a terrific homemade spicy food gift come the holiday season. Just package it up in a fancy bottle and voila!
Other chilies are also easily used in this recipe, so feel free to swap in milder or hotter chili peppers as you desire. Serrano peppers are a great step up here, with a similar flavor profile to the jalapeño. Or you can substitute habanero peppers for something much, much spicier.
- 6 jalapeño peppers destemmed, seeded, and sliced in half
- 2 cups olive oil
- In a sauce pan, heat 1 cup of the olive oil over medium, then add in the jalapeño halves. Let them simmer in the oil over medium for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the remaining oil and reduce the heat to low. Continue stirring for 5 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat, cover, and allow the oil to rest and cool for 1 hour.
- Strain the oil into a bottle or jar to remove the jalapeño pepper halves and seeds.