Here’s an excellent basic jalapeño hot sauce recipe that is a good beginning sauce for some culinary experimentation. It’s not overly hot (jalapeños are a mild-medium chili by nature), so it’s a good one to make to spice up a summer family party or a Cinco de Mayo celebration. Keep some handy in the fridge to add a splash of heat to any meal!
When it comes to experimenting, try layering in some hotter chilies (like
Want something hotter out the gate? Try our basic habanero hot sauce.
Basic Jalapeño Hot Sauce
- Saute the oil, jalapeño peppers, onions, garlic, and salt in a sauce pan over high hight for 4 minutes.
- Pour water into the mix and cook, stirring often, for 20 minutes.
- Take pan off heat and let the mixture cool down to room temperature.
- Puree the mix in a food processor until it’s completely smooth.
- Keep the processor running and add in the distilled white vinegar until completely mixed.
- Place into a jar or bottle.