Cheesy, crabby, and – of course – spicy!
There are so many things to love in this thick and creamy dip. Sharp white cheddar, crab, jalapeño peppers, and even a touch of Old Bay if you’re game. This is the kind of dip that’ll overshadow every other appetizer on the table. Serve with crackers, veggies, or your favorite bread. Add in additional jalapeños if you’re looking to up the heat, or try some serranos instead.
Creamy Jalapeño Crab Dip
- 3 jalapeño peppers seeded and diced
- 1 can fresh lump crab meat 8 ounces
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar white or yellow
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 4 scallions sliced
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and stir in the garlic. Continue stirring for 30 seconds.
- Add in the flour and milk, stirring continuously. Continue cooking for 3 minutes, until the mix has thickened. Then remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Add in the crab, white cheddar cheese, lemon juice, jalapeño pepper (keep a teaspoon to the side), and scallions (keep a teaspoon to the side). Optional: Add in the tablespoon of Old Bay for a little extra oomph.
- Pour the crab mix into a quart baking dish, then sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese on top.
- Bake the crab dip for 20 minutes, then broil it for 6 more minutes or until the cheese topping turns golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let the dip rest for 5 minutes, then sprinkle the remaining scallions and jalapeño on top and serve.