A perfect side for chili or barbecue!
Mmmm. Cornbread. That’s all you really need to say about this popular side summer side. But when you add jalapeño pepper to kick it up a notch, it goes well past “mmm” to “holy cow!” Yes, that’s the experience of jalapeño cornbread, at least for those in my family. The hot pepper just works so well with the rustic tastes and textures of the bread. Top it with a little warm butter, dip it in your summer-time chili, or soak up some extra barbecue sauce. No matter how you eat it, it’s fantastic.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine the butter and sugar in a bowl and whisk thoroughly.
- Add the baking soda, buttermilk, and eggs into the butter/sugar mix. Mix thoroughly.
- Mix in the jalapeños, corneal, flour, and salt. Mix thoroughly.
- Pour the mix into a non-stick cake pan (8″ x 8″).
- Bake for 30 – 35 minutes or until you see crust turning a golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let the cornbread cool for 10 – 15 minutes before serving.