Old Bay is one of those magic spice mixes – a complex combination of many flavors that comes out on the other side as something singularly delicious. It’s simple enough to pick up Old Bay at any store (and we highly recommend keeping a bulk amount around as we do). But if you’re the type that loves to concoct in the kitchen, making your own homemade Old Bay seasoning is simple and fun too.
It contains many spice rack staples, along with a few exotic flavors, and this recipe gets you pretty close to the flavor of the real deal. Enjoy it on seafood like Old Bay Shrimp or crab cakes. Or you can spice up your sides, like cooking up some Old Bay fries. And let’s not forget the tastiness of an Old Bay Bloody Mary on a Sunday morning. This is a very versatile spice mix.
Like this recipe? You’ll love these too:
- Homemade Sriracha Powder: Turn the rooster sauce into a delicious dry seasoning blend.
- Chili Lime Seasoning: A version of this classic blend. Note – not a Tajin copycat.
- Chipotle Taco Seasoning: The chipotle adds a delicious smokiness to the earthy blend.
Homemade Old Bay Seasoning
- With a mortar and pestle, crush the bay leaves and crushed red pepper into a powder.
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix thoroughly.