An exotically spicy side…
Harissa seasoning provides a subtle and exotic spiciness wherever it’s used. It’s a perfect pairing, in fact, for the simple earthiness of couscous. Mix couscous and harissa with tomatoes, cucumbers, scallions, and you have a side that starts to eat like a meal. We love the addition of lemon here, too. It adds just the hint of tangy flavor.
This dish is already mildly spicy from the harissa, so if you want a little more pizazz, reach for that crushed red pepper on the spice rack.
- 1 package couscous approximately 3 cups cooked
- 1/2 dry pint cherry tomatoes diced
- 1/4 cup cucumber chopped
- 1/2 bunch scallions sliced thin
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons harissa seasoning
- 2 tablespoons dried cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice approximately 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper optional
- Cook the couscous per package instructions and set to the side in a large bowl.
- While the couscous is almost done cooking, in a mixing bowl combine the olive oil, harissa seasoning, cilantro, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper (optional). Stir well.
- Pour the harissa seasoning mix into the couscous and stir well.
- Add the diced cherry tomatoes and cucumbers. Stir well, then serve.