An exotically spicy side…
Harissa seasoning provides a subtle and exotic spiciness wherever it’s used. It’s a perfect pairing, in fact, for the simple earthiness of couscous. Mix couscous and harissa with tomatoes, cucumbers, scallions, and you have a side that starts to eat like a meal. We love the addition of lemon here, too. It adds just the hint of tangy flavor.
This dish is already mildly spicy from the harissa, so if you want a little more pizazz, reach for that crushed red pepper on the spice rack.
- 1 package couscous approximately 3 cups cooked
- 1/2 dry pint cherry tomatoes diced
- 1/4 cup cucumber chopped
- 1/2 bunch scallions sliced thin
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons harissa seasoning
- 2 tablespoons dried cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice approximately 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper optional
Cook the couscous per package instructions and set to the side in a large bowl.
While the couscous is almost done cooking, in a mixing bowl combine the olive oil, harissa seasoning, cilantro, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper (optional). Stir well.
Pour the harissa seasoning mix into the couscous and stir well.
Add the diced cherry tomatoes and cucumbers. Stir well, then serve.