Tequila on the edge…
We don’t know if there’s a correlation between loving tequila and loving spicy food, but if we had to guess, they’ve got to be linked. This habanero infused tequila recipe brings the best of both worlds together, converging into one extra hot bottle of pure bliss. It’s delicious as a spicy shot on its own, or try it as a mixer for a spicy Tequila Sunrise or other tequila-based cocktail.
You can control the overall heat of this habanero tequila by choosing how long to steep the habanero peppers. Less time means less spiciness; more time means an extra-hot experience. And, as always, when working with habanero peppers, use kitchen gloves when handling the chilies. Extra hot peppers and above can cause especially painful chili burn. Be protected and wash your hands immediately after handling as well.
Habanero Infused Tequila
- 3 habanero peppers deseeded and sliced into thin strips
- 1 bottle agave tequila 750ml
- Unseal tequila bottle and add the thin habanero slices to the tequila. Reseal and allow the tequila to infuse the habanero flavor for between 6 and 24 hours (the longer, the hotter the tequila will be).
- Remove the habanero slices prior to serving by pouring the tequila through a filter then back into the same bottle or another sealable jar.
- Store for up to 4 to 6 months, but for best flavor, drink within the first 2 weeks to a month.