Gochujang wings (also often called Korean chicken wings) are spicy just the way we like: earthy, pungent, and bold. It’s that umami flavor of authentic gochujang that makes these wings so special. It’s a specific savory taste — especially paired with sesame oil and rice vinegar — with a “love it or hate it” following. But if you love authentic Korean or Asian cuisine, you’ll love these wings no doubt. And if you’re looking for a chicken wings recipe that’s a little different than the norm, then gochujang wings are a perfect fit. This is a great recipe for parties to use as a conversation starter.
We add some additional heat here with the inclusion of crushed red pepper, but gochujang is chili pepper based, so feel free to cut those flakes from the recipe if “too spicy” is part of your vocabulary. And, of course, feel free to have a heavy hand with that CRP if you want something even spicier.
Want to make your own gochujang? It’s an intense process, but we have a simplified recipe here. It’s not quite as savory as authentic gochujang, but it cuts days (yes days…) out of the cooking process.
- 2 pounds chicken wings
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 piece ginger 3/4 inch long and peeled and grated
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons gochujang
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper optional, more heat
- 1/2 teaspoon salt more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper more to taste
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds as garnish
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Make the Sauce
- In a large bowl (big enough to add the chicken wings in the next step), combine the gochujang, crushed red pepper, garlic, ginger, honey, rice vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, salt, and black pepper. Stir well.
- Add the chicken wings and stir to coat the wings thoroughly.
Bake the Wings
- Transfer the chicken wings to the parchment-lined baking sheet and place the bowl with any excess gochujang sauce to the side.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake the wings for 20 minutes, flipping the wings once at the 10-minute mark and brushing with more gochujang sauce (if preferred).
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve immediately.