Talk about an addictive appetizer…
Fried jalapeño slices are one of those appetizers that spicy food lovers drool over. You’ve got that decadent crunch mixed with the hot pepper heat. Try a little ranch dressing dip on the side to add a little tang to the flavor mix too.
Are jalapeño peppers not hot enough for you? That’s ok. You can swap them out for serrano peppers or even something hotter if you’re adventurous enough. This is a recipe that’ll work with really any chili.
- Cut the jalapeño peppers into wheels about 1/2 inch thick.
- Pour the vegetable oil into a frying pan until it's 1/2 inch deep. Heat the oil at medium heat.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, corn meal, bread crumbs, baking powder, paprika, salt, and garlic powder.
- In a separate bowl, add the egg and milk and whisk until fully combined. Pour the mix over the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly until it reaches a cake batter consistency.
- Place the jalapeño wheels into the batter and fully cover them on both sides.
- Once the oil is hot, place the battered jalapeño slices in the oil and fry them on each side until golden brown.