Fra diavolo sauce, with its tomato tang, spicy bite, and fresh basil twist is killer with pasta. It’s a perfect base for many popular fra diavolo pasta meals (like chicken, seafood, or shrimp fra diavolo). But don’t pigeonhole this spicy sauce to only pasta. It’s a great dipping sauce as well with bread sticks, mozzarella sticks, and fresh vegetables. Or try it with eggs to add a total spicy kick to your breakfast.
Crushed red pepper is the heat source in this fra diavolo sauce recipe, so adapt the spiciness to your tolerance level. A tablespoon is a good starting point, but if you opt for a “saucier” sauce by adding tomato puree (totally optional), consider adding a second tablespoon to keep the heat equal.
Like this recipe? You’ll love these too:
- Chipotle Alfredo Sauce: Creamy, smoky, and a bit fiery. This is an easy way to bring a ton of flavor to plain pasta.
- Sriracha Spaghetti Sauce: The famous rooster sauce takes center stage, adding additional garlic flavor and a light heat.
- Ajvar Sauce: This is one of the most versatile sauces around, delicious as a pasta sauce, as a dipper, as a sandwich spread, and more.
Fiery Fra Diavolo Sauce
- 1 can crushed tomatoes 28 ounce can
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons basil chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt more to taste
- 1 teaspoon pepper more to taste
- 1 can tomato puree optional – to be added for a thinner sauce
- In a high-sided saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat, then add the onion, garlic, and crushed red pepper. Heat, stirring often, until the onions have softened (3 to 4 minutes).
- Add the crushed tomatoes, salt, and pepper. If you like a “saucier” sauce, you can also add a can of tomato puree here (optional). Turn the heat to high and bring the mix to a quick boil, then lower heat to a simmer. Simmer the sauce for 10 to 15 minutes, or until it reaches your preferred consistency.
- Add the parsley and basil. Cook for an additional 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Remove from the heat and allow it to cool for 5 minutes. Use with cooked pasta or as a spicy tomato-based dipping sauce.