Most ingredients you’ll have in a well-stocked kitchen.
Sure, this isn’t the most authentic mole sauce recipe in town, but it’s definitely one of the easiest. And it tastes great, too – perfect over chicken and enchiladas. If you keep your spice rack well-stocked, the majority of ingredients you likely already have. Ancho chili powder can be found in many grocery stores – just look for the gourmet spices on the store shelves.
Easy Mole Sauce Recipe
- 1 can diced tomatoes 15 ounce
- 2 onions chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ancho powder
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of ground cloves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onions and cook, stirring often, until the onions are brown. Approximately 10 minutes.
- Add the chili powder, ancho chili powder, brown sugar, garlic, cinnamon, and cloves and stir for 1 minutes, until the mix is fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes, peanut butter, cocoa powder, and water. Stir to combine.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook the sauce, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and season, to taste, with salt and pepper.