Our easy Louisiana seafood gumbo is a little different from your typical gumbo recipe. It has much of the flavor you’d expect, but it drops the flour roux so even the most inexperienced cooks can enjoy this spicy seafood dish.
The choice of hot sauce in the recipe is up to you. We used Frank’s Redhot here and it offers a mild level of heat. Of course, with the addition of chipotle powder this smoky powder is the overriding flavor (and spiciness) of the dish. Cut back to one teaspoon if you are concerned about the overall spiciness here.
Okra is traditionally used in gumbo because of its thickening properties but its not entirely necessary. You could use peas or chopped green beans instead. They are great alternatives if you cannot find okra in your local store as they both add some extra texture to the gumbo as well.
Enjoy your Louisiana seafood gumbo with mussels, shrimp, or any other shellfish you like. Serve it up with some boiled rice or crusty bread to make it a filling meal.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 chorizo ring
- 2 onions chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 bell pepper cut into cubes
- 2 teaspoons chipotle powder
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 1-2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 3 large tomatoes
- 2 cups shrimp
- 6 cups chicken stock fish stock also works
- 2 cups Okra sliced (or green beans or peas if you prefer)
- 4 cups mussels
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice approximately the juice of 1 lemon
- Place a large pan over high heat and add the olive oil.
- Cut the chorizo into small cubes and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add chopped onion and cook for 2-3 minutes until translucent.
- Add garlic and stir for 1 more minute.
- Add cubed bell pepper and stir once again to combine.
- Sprinkle over the chipotle powder and Cajun spice mix, stirring to avoid sticking. The mixture will seem dry but this will release the full flavor of the spices.
- Add your hot sauce of choice, the tomatoes, and shrimp. Then pour over the broth.
- When the pan comes back to boil, add the okra, then lay the mussels on top to steam.
- Cook with the lid on for around 5 minutes or until all of the mussels are open.
- Serve with rice or crusty bread and a squeeze of lemon juice.