Curry warmth with extra oomph…
Curried potato soup is a simple enough recipe. Potato, leek, and garlic meet cream, stock, and spices. But sometimes simplicity belies the real flavor impact of a meal. It’s exotic, yet comforting. Plus, for us spicy food fans, it’s a tick beyond “warm” in the heat department with the extra oomph provided by cayenne pepper.
Curried Potato Soup
- In a soup pot over medium heat, melt the butter then add the leeks and garlic. Cook, stirring often until the leeks are softened (approximately 2 to 3 minutes)
- To the leeks and garlic, add the curry and cayenne powders. Cook stirring often for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken stock and potatoes, then increase the heat to medium-high. Bring the stock to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer the stock for 10 to 12 minutes (until the potatoes are softened.
- Using a handheld immersion blender, process the soup until smooth (or use a blender if no immersion blender or handheld food processor is available).
- Add the heavy cream and stir to combine.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Plate the soup, then top with cilantro (optional) as a garnish.