Cream cheese jalapeño poppers is one of those sizzling party standards that people simply love to eat. Creamy, spicy, and deep-fried, they satisfy so many cravings that it’s hard to have just one…or even two…or even five. It’s one of the reasons that jalapeño peppers are as popular as they are.
There are many cream cheese jalapeño poppers recipes out there, but here’s a basic that’s sure to be a hit. It keeps it simple – no additional ingredients beyond the requisite jalapeños, cream cheese, and breading needs. Note – a deep fryer is used for these poppers. You can also use a deep pot, but gauge your temperature correctly using a probe thermometer. For more information, see this article by Modernist Cuisine.
If you love poppers like we do, you’ll want to check our the twists on the popper that we have in our spicy recipe index. It’s not just different stuffings – we play with popper ingredients across a lot in different dishes. Take for instance, this jalapeño popper grilled cheese sandwich (a game changer for lunchtime) or this super-delicious popper-like take on chicken soup. And, of course, if you’re looking for a popper recipe with a little meat, we have that, too!
- Let the cream cheese soften at room temperature for 30 minutes prior to preparing.
- Cut the jalapeño peppers in half lengthwise and remove the seeds from each half. Keep the matching halves close together.
- Stuff the jalapeño pepper halves with cream cheese, and then press the two halves back together.
- Mix the eggs, salt, and water in a mixing bowl and place breadcrumbs in a separate mixing bowl.
- Dip each jalapeño in the egg mix and then immediately into the breadcrumbs, coating the jalapeño with the crumbs. Place the breaded jalapeños into a bowl and freeze them for 2 – 3 hours.
- In a deep fryer, heat your oil to 370 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In batches, deep fry your frozen jalapeños for 3 minutes or until the bread crumb coating is a golden brown color.
- Place the deep fried poppers onto a paper towel to allow the excess oil to drain from the poppers.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauces.