Talk about incredible fusions of flavor — coconut lentil soup is all that, with its irresistible mix of spices, creaminess, and eatable heat. It’s also pretty healthy, full of fiber, vitamins, and healthy fats. This one makes an excellent lunch meal, plenty hearty to keep you going for the rest of the day.
Our coconut lentil soup uses lemongrass, paprika, coriander, and cilantro as the primary herbs and spices. But here’s where you can make the soup your own. Try playing with additional spices (or opting others out) to experiment with the flavor. For instance, add some cumin for a soup with an earthy, exotic undertone, reminiscent of Indian cuisine. Or try some cayenne pepper powder to fire up this soup even more.
Currently, red jalapeño peppers are the primary source of spiciness, backed up with some paprika (of your heat preference.) Though, you can opt to experiment here too. Opt for a hotter (or smokier) paprika or try a chili pepper with more oomph (like a red serrano or Thai pepper.)
Keep in mind: Because of the coconut milk, coconut lentil soup is best enjoyed fresh. It’s just missing the same depth when reheated (though still pretty good!) So instead of reheating, share that fresh batch with family no friends!
Coconut Lentil Soup
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 1 large onion or 2 smaller (chopped)
- 1 red jalapeno pepper or chili of choice
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 cup red lentils
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons lime juice approximately the juice of one lime
- Salt and pepper to season
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 scallion sliced for serving
- Cut the lemongrass stalk in half, both lengthways and across.
- Place a soup pan or large frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the oil and lemongrass to the pan.
- Add the garlic, onion, and chili to the pan and stir gently to avoid sticking for 5 minutes.
- Add the paprika and coriander powder to the pan and stir to release aromas.
- Stir the lentils into the mixture and add the lime juice and broth.
- Simmer for 10 minutes until the lentils are cooked.
- Remove the lemongrass stalks.
- Add the coconut milk and cilantro, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with finely sliced scallion atop each bowl.