Chipotle sticky toffee pudding is a delightful traditional pudding with a spicy twist of smoky flavor. But don’t fear — the heat here (from chipotle pepper powder) is not enough to put anyone off. It’s just enough to know it is there and the warmth from the cinnamon takes just as much center stage. This is a bold dessert that the entire family can enjoy.
You have a few options when it comes to the sponge pudding here. One if you prefer a smoother sponge texture, the other if you like the dates in the sponge pudding a little chunky. If you like chunky pieces through the sponge, simply soak the chopped dates in the water and follow on with the recipe. If you like the traditional dark sponge without any lumps of fruit then use a hand blender to smooth the dates down before combining with the cake mixture. Note this will result in the darker sponge.
This recipe is perfect for freezing and it lasts a good long time when kept in this way — up to two months. When you’re ready to eat the frozen chipotle sticky toffee pudding simply let it thaw out of the freezer then heat it up in the microwave. It’s not quite as good as fresh, but still a delicious dessert in a pinch!
Chipotle Sticky Toffee Pudding
The Sponge Pudding
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cups dates chopped
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
Toffee Sauce Ingredients
- 3 cups double cream
- 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder optional, omit for less spiciness
Make the sponge pudding
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cream together the butter and caster sugar in a stand mixer for 10 minutes. Scrape the mixture down the side of the bowl at least once during mixing.
- Add one egg then mix for 3 minutes. Then add the next egg and repeat until very light and fluffy.
- Combine the flour, cinnamon, and chipotle powder in a separate bowl.
- In a separate small bowl, add the chopped dates and boiling water, then mix the baking soda together with the mixture. (You can blend this mixture with a stick blender now if you like a darker sponge with no bits.)
- Add all of the flour mixture and the date mixture to the egg, butter, and sugar mix then fold carefully with a spoon. Be careful not to over mix.
- Pour the mixture into a square cake tin and cook in the center of the oven for 40 minutes.
Making the chipotle toffee sauce
- While the cake is cooking place a saucepan over medium heat and combine all of the toffee sauce Ingredients.
- Cook slowly until turns to a golden brown color (around 20 minutes on a low simmer.)
Pulling it all together
- Remove the cake from the oven when ready and pour half of the toffee sauce over the cake and allow to soak in.
- Serve in squares while still warm and pour some of the remaining sauce over each serving.