This slow cooker chipotle shredded beef tacos recipe is a nice alternative to the traditional taco meal. We pair it with a cabbage and radish slaw, providing a nice crunch. And the chipotle gives the beef a delicious smoky heat. This is much more of an adult gourmet taco than one that kids will crave, so keep that in mind. Of course, you could keep the cabbage slaw for the adults and offer the kids more traditional taco toppings. It’s really an easy recipe to make, so enjoy!
The meal’s heat can be controlled by the amount of chipotle in adobo sauce used in the recipe. Be prepared for the hours needed to slow cook, as you’ll want the time to do it right. We recommend using the low slow cooker temperature (if time allows) as the shredded beef takes on so much of the chipotle pepper smokiness.
Like these tacos? You love these too:
- Spicy Pulled Pork Tacos With Sweet Salsa: The pulled pork is delicious but the star is the salsa made with peaches and cherries.
- Spicy Beef Tacos: A more traditional recipe, using spice rack spices instead of generic taco seasoning.
- Spicy Fish Tacos: Tilapia pairs with avocado, black beans, corn, and many earthy and fiery spices.
Chipotle Shredded Beef Tacos (With Radish And Cabbage Slaw)
- 3 pounds beef chuck trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 radishes sliced
- 4 cups cabbage sliced
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons chipotle in adobo sauce chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 tortillas 6-inch
- In a slow cooker (4 or 6-quart), mix the beef, garlic, onion, chipotle in adobo sauce, bay leaves, oregano, and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook until meat is tender (low for 7 or 8 hours or high for 4 hours).
Twenty to thirty minutes before serving
- Heat tortillas wrapped in foil in a 350° F oven until warm.
- Toss in a bowl the cabbage, radishes, lime juice, cilantro and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- When beef is cooked, transfer it without the liquid into a bowl and shred it (using two forks works best).
- Pour 1/2 cup of liquid from the slow cooker over top the shredded beef and mix.
- Fill the warmed tortillas with the shredded beef and the slaw mix.
- Excellent options for toppings: sour cream, diced jalapeño (fresh or pickled), hot sauce, and lime wedges (for a squeeze of fresh lime juice).