This slow cooker chipotle shredded beef tacos recipe is a nice alternative to the traditional taco meal. The cabbage and radish provide a nice crunch, and the chipotle gives the beef a smoky heat. Just be prepared for the timing as you’ll want the time to do it right. We recommend using the low slow cooker temperature if time allows as the shredded beef takes on so much of the chipotle pepper smokiness.
The meal’s heat can be controlled by the amount of chipotle in adobo sauce used in the recipe. It’s really an easy to make recipe, so enjoy!
Are you looking for more spicy taco ideas? Check out our fish tacos and our spicy pulled pork option, too! Or, if you’re looking for something more traditional (but with some extra kick), we have you covered there as well.
- 3 pounds beef chuck trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 radishes sliced
- 4 cups cabbage sliced
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons chipotle in adobo sauce chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 tortillas 6-inch
- In a slow cooker (4 or 6-quart), mix the beef, garlic, onion, chipotle in adobo sauce, bay leaves, oregano, and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook until meat is tender (low for 7 or 8 hours or high for 4 hours).
Twenty to thirty minutes before serving
- Heat tortillas wrapped in foil in a 350° F oven until warm.
- Toss in a bowl the cabbage, radishes, lime juice, cilantro and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- When beef is cooked, transfer it without the liquid into a bowl and shred it (using two forks works best).
- Pour 1/2 cup of liquid from the slow cooker over top the shredded beef and mix.
- Fill the warmed tortillas with the shredded beef and the slaw mix.
- Excellent options for toppings: sour cream, diced jalapeño (fresh or pickled), hot sauce, and lime wedges (for a squeeze of fresh lime juice).