Adding spicy earthy smoke to mustard tang.
Tangy mustards are one of the many condiments that pair very well with hot peppers. Take, for instance, this smoky chipotle mustard. The delicious mustard tanginess is set against smoky chipotle peppers and earthy adobo sauce. It’s a tasty dipping sauce (try it with chicken fingers), and makes for a unique alternative on deli meat sandwiches and pork dishes.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix the dry mustard, white wine vinegar, and 1/4 cup water.
- Add in the minced chipotle and stir until fully combined.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 2 hours (overnight if possible).
- Transfer the mustard mix to a saucepan, and add the egg, cornstarch, salt. Stir continuously over low simmering heat until the mustard is near your desired consistency (it will thicken more when resting).
- Remove from heat and add in the additional adobo sauce and chipotle powder (optional).
- Let the mustard rest at room temperature, thickening slightly more.
- Serve or jar for later use.