Here’s a meat-free chipotle mushroom burger that delivers on flavor and is totally filling. With its earthy, fiery, and smoky flavors, it’ll leave you craving for more. It’s such a marriage of flavor and texture here. That meaty mushroom cap is topped with gooey cheese and creamy chipotle sauce. It’s all put together, of course, in a hearty bread roll, so every bite is such a taste and texture explosion.
The recipe, as mentioned, calls for chipotle sauce. You can find store-bought creamy chipotle sauces to use here. Or, you can make one yourself. Our chipotle sauce recipe pairs chipotle in adobo, mayonnaise, lime juice, honey, and cilantro. You could cut back on the cilantro there to keep the smokiness front and center, but it’s yours to experiment with to get just the right flavor for your chipotle mushroom burger.
As for bun spreads, we list both Dijon mustard and chili mayonnaise. These are optional, or you could opt for only one. Again — it’s up to your taste. That chili mayonnaise could be something as simple as this Sriracha aioli recipe.
One important note: Be sure to drain some of the liquid after cooking the mushrooms, as the mushroom caps will continue to release liquid after the baking. This can make your burger soggy, so be sure to remove as much liquid as possible.
The liquid in the mushrooms is also the reason why these chipotle mushroom burgers are better eaten immediately. The burger buns can become soggy over time, so it’s best to consume soon after completion for the best flavor.
Chipotle Mushroom Burger
- 2 large flat mushrooms
- ½ cup gouda cheese
- 1 ball mozzarella chopped into cubes
- 1 tablespoon chipotle sauce
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 bread rolls
- Chili mayonnaise and dijon mustard according to taste
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine the mozzarella cubes, gouda cheese, and chipotle sauce in a small bowl. Stir well to coat.
- Remove the stalks from the mushrooms and lay them top down onto a non stick baking tray.
- Divide the chipotle mixture in 2 and spoon onto the mushrooms.
- Cook in the center of preheated oven for 12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for a few minutes. Pour away any liquid.
- Open the bread rolls and spread the Dijon mustard one side and chili mayo on the other.
- Add lettuce and sliced tomatoes to the rolls then lay the cooked mushrooms in to complete.
- Enjoy immediately!