Parsnips are always a surprise favorite for many – with their natural earthy sweetness. They make an excellent potato fry alternative just with a little salt. But what if we amp it up a bit? What could be better than adding a good amount of honey sweetness, smoke, and fire? Meet chipotle honey parsnips. You’ll find yourself craving these.
The sticky honey sweetens up this smoked spicy chipotle pepper, and together they make for a perfect flavor combination on these crisp parsnip fries. The is one delicious side for fall, but it’s just as good any time of the year.
Of course, the obvious food pairing for these parsnips is turkey, but the recipe also works well with beef, pork, and even nut roast for a meat-free option. They are also a great snack on their own (and are pretty healthy too.) For the best texture and flavor, eat them immediately upon cooling out of the oven. They do not re-heat well.
Chipotle Honey Parsnips
- 4 parsnips
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried chipotle flakes
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Peel and chop the parsnips into sticks and place them in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle over the parsnips the olive oil, honey, salt, ground pepper, and chipotle flakes.
- Toss the parsnips in the bowl until all of the parsnip sticks are coated well.
- Spread over a nonstick baking tray and cook in the center of the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes (or until browning and sticky.)
- Remove from oven and allow the parsnips to cool for 5 minutes. Serve immediately.