Smoky and spicy…
If you like smoky heat, then get ready for your new fiery go-to in the grilled cheese department. Our chipotle grilled cheese is a simple recipe, but it delivers on the smoke via those fiery chipotle peppers.
Feel free to increase the amount of chipotle (and adobo sauce) used to adjust the smokiness, heat, and general earthiness to your liking.
If this spicy grilled cheese hits the mark in the feel-good department, be sure to check out some of our other options like our jalapeño popper grilled cheese sandwich and this spicy grilled mac and cheese. For spicy food fans, these are definite favorites.
Chipotle Grilled Cheese
- Pre-heat a pan over medium-low heat.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the mayonnaise, adobo sauce, and finely minced chipotle pepper. Stir well.
- Spread a thin layer of butter on one side of each piece of bread.
- Spread the adobo/mayo sauce on two slices of bread (non-buttered side).
- Evenly disperse the cheese across the two bread slices and top with a slice or two of red onion.
- Top each sandwich with the remaining two pieces of bread (butter side up).
- Place the sandwiches in the pan and grill until the bottom side is a golden brown (2 to 3 minutes), flip the sandwich and repeat – grill the bread to a golden brown (2 to 3 minutes). The cheese should be melted.
- Remove the chipotle grilled cheese from the grill and serve.