Smoky spice with horseradish bite…
Like a little smoky edge to your sauces? Don’t ignore what chipotle peppers can bring to the table. This chipotle cocktail sauce brings plenty of horseradish spiciness, but with the extra earthy smoky zip of chipotle in adobo sauce. It’s a bold combo that’s perfect for those that believe everything tastes better when it’s a touch smoky. Try it with shrimp cocktail or fried shrimp.
If you like the idea of earthy without as much smoke, take a look at our Cajun cocktail sauce recipe as well. It’s got a lot of Southern charm.
Chipotle Cocktail Sauce
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 chipotle peppers from chipotle in adobo sauce, minced
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- Mash the minced chipotle peppers (from chipotle in adobo sauce) until smooth like a paste.
- Combine the ketchup, chipotle mash, lemon juice, and prepared horseradish. Stir well.
- Serve immediately, or for best flavor refrigerate the chipotle cocktail sauce for 2 to 4 hours prior to serving (to allow the flavors to meld).
Concerned about heat? Use only one chipotle pepper in the recipe, though this also removes some of the smokiness. Consider adding a little extra adobo sauce to the mix to add some extra earthiness.