A smoky, earthy side…
In our book, happiness is a bowl of roasted Brussels sprouts. There’s just something about the earthy, bitter flavor of these little gems that brings a smile to our faces. They make for an excellent base for experimentation, too. Chipotle powder, with its smoky heat, makes for an excellent match, especially when you sprinkle on some delicious crumbled bacon before serving. Of course, for our vegetarian friends out there, that last part is totally optional.
We like adding a pinch of cayenne pepper powder to the recipe. A small amount adds just a little more fire to the spiciness of this dish, without overdoing the smoky undertone through adding more chipotle. As with the bacon, the cayenne is totally optional. For those that simply like a light simmering heat for their spiciness, the recipe with simply the chipotle powder is just enough.
If you like this, be sure to check out another spicy Brussels sprouts recipe.
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Trim the ends off the Brussels sprouts, then slice them in half.
- In a large bowl, combine the olive oil, chipotle powder, salt, black pepper, and cayenne powder (optional). Stir to evenly distribute the spices in the oil.
- Add the sprouts to the bowl. Mix them with the spiced oil to coat the sprouts.
- Evenly distribute the Brussels sprouts across the foil-lined baking sheet, then place the baking sheet in the oven.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the sprouts are tender and lightly browned on the edges.
- Place the sprouts in a serving bowl. Top with crumbled bacon (optional), then serve.