What better way to enjoy beef than having it just dripping with sauce and flavored by earthy and smoky chipotle pepper. Chipotle braised beef is just delicious. And better yet, it’s one forgiving recipe too. Even the cheapest cut of beef will give you some magical results.
The longer you cook the beef at a low temperature, the more succulent and delicious it becomes. Five to eight hours of low and slow cooking is enough, but overnight is even better. Fifteen hours and the beef will be like butter when you pull it apart. But if you cook for more than eight hours, check it often, so it does not become too dry. If it is, remove the beef from the oven and add a little water, stir well, and place it back under the heat.
See chipotle braised beef being made
As it stands with the recipe, the spiciness will be upper-mild to medium. But if you want your chipotle braised beef hotter, you have two options. You could opt for doubling up the chipotle powder and cayenne. But as this is a big dish meant for many, you may run into friends and family not liking all that extra spice (and the extra smokiness to boot.)
A better option is to add some whole chilies into the casserole when cooking. This way, you can serve the hotheads some extra spice without making the chipotle braised beef too spicy for others. And trust us: The juices from the beef will make the extra chilies taste like no other.
Like this recipe? You’ll love these too:
- Chipotle Shredded Beef Tacos (With Radish And Cabbage Slaw): These tacos may become a go-to for you – they are that good.
- Pepperoncini Beef: Another delicious low-and-slow recipe, without as much heat.
- Spicy Smoky Pulled Chicken: A tasty topper for nachos, tacos, and more!
Chipotle Braised Beef
- Peel the carrot and onions. Chop the carrots and cut the onions into large chunks. Place the pieces in a casserole dish.
- Cut the garlic bulb in half and place both halves into the dish with the vegetables. Keep the skin intact.
- Sprinkle the chipotle powder, cayenne powder, black pepper, and salt over the vegetables.
- Add the red wine and beef broth to the casserole dish and place the beef on top.
- Seal the casserole dish with kitchen foil and place in the oven at around 220 degrees Fahrenheit for 5-8 hours (the longer the better).
- 30 minutes before you wish to serve the beef, turn the oven to 390 degrees Fahrenheit and remove the foil.
- Remove from the oven and serve in chunks or shred the beef for tacos or pizza.