This chili and zucchini bake is a perfect summer side dish for all sorts of barbecue. Plus, it’s a great way to use up all those extra tomatoes and zucchini from the garden.
The recipe calls for both chili powder (100% pepper, not the blend) and a fresh red chili of your choice. Red jalapeños, Fresno peppers, and red serranos are all great choices here if you want a medium level of heat. Make sure it’s the red version of each of these, though, as we want that sweetness you get from mature red chilies instead of the bright bight you get from the younger green peppers. Fresno peppers add a nice natural smokiness to the flavor, too.
You can get more aggressive in the heat department and add a fresh habanero (orange or red works.) And, of course, it’s all good to omit the fresh pepper and just go with the powder if you are looking for something a bit more mild.
Chili and zucchini bake also stores really well. You can keep it in the refrigerator for a few days or even freeze in smaller portions and cook in the microwave when ready to eat, making it great for parties where prepping days before is a must.
This recipe calls for 20 minutes in the oven and the vegetables will remain crisp and fresh. Any longer and you will have a softer result – it’s your choice!
Chili And Zucchini Bake
- 1 large tomato or 2 or 3 smaller ones
- 1 zucchini
- 1 red chili Red jalapeño, Fresno, and red serrano all work well.
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder 100% chili, not the blend. Your choice.
- 1 bunch basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons finely grated parmesan
- Salt and pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice the zucchini, tomato, and chili pepper.
- In a casserole dish layer the zucchini first (you won’t use all of it – more layers to come.) Season it with a little salt, pepper, chili powder and dried onion.
- Next layer tomato on top and season again with same seasonings.
- Add half of the chili slices and some basil leaves atop the tomatoes.
- Repeat the process again until you have used all of the ingredients.
- Finish by topping with parmesan cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, then serve.