Perfect tang for grilled meats…
Pebre sauce is sort of like the pico de gallo for Chilean barbecue – a simple fresh salsa with a ton of flavor. It’s delicious with grilled meats, whether beef steak, chicken, or pork. Or serve it atop toasted bread for a quick-to-make, yet surprisingly flavorful appetizer or as a side to tortilla chips instead of your everyday salsa. Its simplicity makes this a real go-to well beyond its Chilean roots.
The heat in this recipe comes from jalapeño peppers, so there’s a decent, yet still family friendly, sizzle here. Though feel free to adjust the chili pepper used. Serrano peppers can provide a nice heat uptick while a poblano or Anaheim pepper can turn down the sizzle.
Chilean Pebre Sauce
- 1 large tomato seeded and chopped (approximately 1 to 1 1/4 cups)
- 1 jalapeño pepper diced
- 1 scallion chopped fine
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 bunch cilantro leaves chopped (approximately 1/4 cup unpacked)
- Pinch salt more to flavor
- Pinch black pepper more to flavor
- Add all ingredients to a bowl and stir to combine. Use immediately.