Sweet smoky spice for your BBQ…
If you’re one for smoky heat (we sure are), you’re going to love this cherry chipotle BBQ sauce. The chipotle peppers layer in that deep earthy smoked heat, and the rich sweetness of the cherries and molasses go toe-to-toe with the spice. It’s bold and oh so good.
Try it as a glaze for BBQ ribs, or simply make it as a dipping sauce for that summer BBQ party. It’s a delicious side sauce for fried foods. We love it, too, lathered on a juicy burger.
Cherry Chipotle BBQ Sauce
- 3 chipotle peppers plus 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 2 cups cherries pitted and diced
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 can tomato sauce 15 ounce can
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- in a sauce pot over medium heat, melt the butter and then sauté the onions until translucent.
- Add in the remaining ingredients, stir to combine, then bring the mix to a boil.
- Once boiling, lower the heat to low, then simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Remove from the heat and pour into a blender or food processor, then blend to your desired consistency.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.