Spicy and smooth…
Carrot-based hot sauces are surprisingly delicious. They smooth the the typical hot sauce tang and provide a little earthiness to the sauce to boot. Our favorite combo of the bunch is certainly a carrot habanero sauce. It delivers significant spice and the habanero pepper fruitiness melds quite well with those mellow earthy flavors and the light lime tang.
This recipe is already very spicy, but if you want an even hotter kick, you can add a little more habanero pepper. Or try leaving the pepper’s membrane and seeds in the sauce. Much of the heat comes from the membrane (which os often removed during the deseeding process). Either way, take caution when working with habaneros. Use kitchen gloves and learn how to remedy chili burn if it does hit.
If you like your dippers on the extra spicy side, we have a lot of options for you in our spicy recipe index beyond our carrot habanero sauce. For something with a little more culinary bite (and we aren’t talking spiciness here), check out this garlic habanero hot sauce. Or if you like things on the sweeter side, we have two different hab-based sauces that will make your day – one featuring apples and the other paired with honey.
Carrot Habanero Sauce
- 4 habanero chilies seeds removed, stemmed, and minced
- 3 large carrots chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
- In a high-walled pan over medium heat, cook the garlic and onion until the garlic is soft and translucent.
- Add the carrots, then slowly pour in the water. Raise the heat to high and bring the mix to a boil. Stir often.
- Once boiling, lower the heat to low. Simmer, uncovered, until the carrots soften. Then remove from the heat.
- Allow the mix to cool for 5 minutes, then add in the habanero, lime juice, vinegar, vegetable oil, and a pinch of salt. Stir to combine.
- Pour the mix into a blender and pulse blend until you reach your desired sauce consistency.
- Serve or bottle.