Extra warmth ahead…
If you want the warmth of hot chocolate with a little spicy buzz, you can opt for our traditional spicy cocoa (see the recipe here – it’s simple and plenty delicious) or lean into awesome with this Aztec hot chocolate with smoky chipotle powder.
There are so many good things here. Chocolate is, of course, the star, but espresso powder provides an earthy pick-me-up and the chipotle pepper adds layers of both smoke and spice. We love topping this Aztec cocoa with an added sprinkle of chipotle powder (it adds a little extra heat right with the first sip).
The recipe here makes a ton due to the use the muffin pan (12 chocolate disk are created). But that doesn’t mean you need to make 12 servings now. You can freeze the extra chocolate disks and use only a portion of the milk to make enough servings for your need now.
Aztec Hot Chocolate (With Smoky Chipotle)
- Line a muffin pan (12 muffin spaces) with baking cups, then set to the side.
- In a glass bowl, combine the semisweet chocolate chips, heavy whipping cream, instant espresso powder, chipotle powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- Microwave the mix for 3 minutes (or until smooth), stirring half way through.
- Pour the chocolate mix evenly into the baking cups and place the muffin pan into the freezer. Allow the chocolate to freeze (2 to 3 hours). At this point, you can remove the baking cups from the pan and place them in a freezer bag (you will have extra for future servings if less than 12 servings needed).
- Take four the chocolate baking cups and remove the paper. Place the chocolate disks into microwave-safe mugs (one per mug).
- Pour the milk over the chocolate, then microwave the mug for 2 minutes, stirring once at the 1 minute mark.
- Top with whipped cream (optional), sprinkle with additional chipotle powder (optional), and serve.