So smooth and rich, yet with a kick…
What’s not to love when three of a recipe’s primary ingredients are rum, butter, and sugar. That’s the decadent deliciousness of hot buttered rum. So smooth, rich, and flavorful. But this spicy hot buttered rum recipe adds a little something extra. A dose of cayenne pepper lights a simmering flame to the smooth taste. This is a winter cocktail that warms you to the core.
- 8 cups hot water
- 2 cups rum
- 2 cups brown sugar
- ½ cup butter
- 6 cloves
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch salt
- Cinnamon sticks, ground nutmeg, cayenne pepper powder, or whipped cream to garnish
- In a slow cooker, add the hot water, brown sugar, butter, cloves, cinnamon sticks, cayenne pepper, and salt. Stir to combine, cover, then cook on low for 4 to 5 hours.
- Add the rum, then stir to combine.
- Ladle out the hot buttered rum into serving glasses, then top the drink with a sprinkle of nutmeg, cayenne pepper powder, and/or whipped cream. Add a cinnamon stick for garnish.