Smoky, sweet, and spicy…
We like to think of these chipotle mashed sweet potatoes as a “shock and awe” side for a memorable meal. They are very unassuming – looking like your typical sweet potato mash. But underneath is a smoky heat that only chipotle pepper in adobo sauce can bring. It’s that perfect mix of smoky, sweet, and spicy that’ll really make a mark on the taste buds around the table.
One chipotle pepper is typically enough for most eaters, but if you like things extra spicy, you can opt for a second pepper. We recommend then, not using the additional tablespoon of adobo sauce.
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 2 tablespoons butter (1/4 stick)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce (chopped fine), plus 1 tablespoon additional adobo sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a medium-sized pot, add the cubed sweet potatoes and enough water to cover the cubes. Bring the water to a boil and continue boiling until the sweet potatoes are soft, approximately 8 to 10 minutes.
- Drain the sweet potatoes from the water, then place them back in the pot. Add the chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, butter, milk, and brown sugar. Using a masher or a large fork, mash the sweet potatoes with the other ingredients until smooth and combined.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, then serve.