Tangy sweet meat smoky heat…
That’s the pairing of chipotle pepper and cranberries. It’s a unique flavor pairing that takes your taste buds for a real rollercoaster ride. For any fans of summer smoky flavors, this is a pairing that you’ll love during the Fall and holiday season. We’re of course a fan of heat, but in this instance we don’t recommend experimenting with any more chipotle pepper than what’s listed in the recipe. It’s a flavor balancing act here and too much chipotle – along with the earthy adobo sauce – can really turn the tide from tasty to too strong.
- 12 ounces cranberries
- 2 cups dark sweet cherries, pitted (can use frozen)
- 3 clementine oranges
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon chipotle (from chipotle in adobo sauce), minced
- Place the cranberries and cherries in a slow cooker.
- Halve the oranges and squeeze the juice over the fruit in the slow cooker. Then remove the pulp from the orange peels and place in the slow cooker as well.
- Heat the water in a microwave to hot, then pour it, the sugar, and chopped chipotle pepper into the slow cooker. Stir the ingredients to fully combine.
- Turn the slow cooker to low, cover, and cook the mix for 4 hours.
- Remove from heat and allow the cranberry sauce to cool to room temperature, then serve. Or chill the cranberry sauce in the refrigerator to allow the sauce to thicken prior to serving.