Smoky and smooth…
You may have tried one of many spicy squash soups before (like our delicious option that uses jalapeños), but you haven’t experienced what can be until you slow cook a squash soup with chipotle peppers and adobo sauce. Seriously, if you like smoke, earthy sweet, and spicy, this is a go-to soup in the waiting. It’s a simple soup to make, just chop, stir, and blend. But plan ahead: You’ll want to really let this slow cook on low for most of the afternoon to get the flavors to meld just right.
- 4 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 cups unsalted chicken broth
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, diced
- 1 teaspoon additional adobo sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Additional salt and pepper to taste
- Sour cream, as a topping (optional)
- Transfer the butternut squash, yellow onion, and garlic into a slow cooker.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, combine the chicken stock, chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, and salt. Stir well, then pour the mix over top of the vegetables in the slow cooker.
- Set the slow cooker to low, cover, and cook the ingredients for 6 hours.
- Once cooked, transfer the soup into a blender (in batches) and pulse blend until smooth. Return the soup to the slow cooker (to keep it warm). Add additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with sour cream (optional). Serve.